If you have questions or want to share ideas, please visit our Professions Forum.
Okay. I decided to pick up engineering, Here's the engineering guide that I created last night, trying to spend the least amount of gold I could. I must admit that it's about 70 gold for everything, But in the end, you'll have like 20-25 gold in your pocket. This is the Quick and Dirty way to engineering. If you can't keep up with the bill, I suggest getting mining, as it alleviates nearly 90% of your costs when you just straight mine to 300.
First is the engineering shopping list of all items I used in my engineering powerlevel. You WILL have leftovers on most things but I padded for the unlucky.
Next is the List itself. What to skill up engineering on until the level desired. For instance, 1-40 means stop doing it when you get your 40th profession point. Next, what typically you can do with the item. Then, AH'ed ingredients and finally the ingredients in ONE make of the crafted item.
Engineering Shopping list of items needed:
90 Rough Stones (AH)
80 Coarse Stones (AH)
75 Heavy Stones (AH)
90 Solid Stones (AH)
50 Dense Stones (AH)
10 Wooden Stock (EVend)
29 Weak Flux (EVend)
50 Heavy Leather (AH)
10 Wool Cloth (AH)
10 Mageweave Cloth (AH)
33 Runecloth (AH)
51 Copper Bars (AH)
10 Silver Bars (AH)
55 Bronze Bars (AH)
19 Iron Bars (AH)
*4 Coal (EVend)
4 Steel Bars (*get a blacksmith to make from iron and coal, MUCH cheaper.)
126 Mithril Bars *cringes, sorry.*(AH)
159 Thorium Bars *runs*(AH)
Engineering trainers are usually found in major cities.
Artisan engineers can be found in Orgrimmar and Ironforge.
The single master engineer (for all engineers) can be found in Gadgetzan in Tanaris. His name is
Level: Name of Skill, approx to keep. Keep more in case. [how many to buy from AH.] (recipe req. for each.)
Engineering 0: Buy a Blacksmith hammer.
Buy Schematic: Green/Blue/Red Firework (Fireworks Merchant in Booty Buy/Iron Forge/Orgrimmar) 40s
Buy Schematic: Thorium Widget - Engineering Supplies in Orgrimmar/Ironforge 1g
Buy Schematic: Thorium Tube - Engineering Supplies in Winterspring (Everlook) 1g40s
Engineering 1-40: Rough Blasting Powder, sell all [90 Rough Stones] (1xRough Stone)
Engineering 41-50: Handful of Copper Bolt, used for 66-75.[10 Copper Bars] (1xCopper Bar)
Engineering 51: Arclight Spanner
[6xCopper Bar](6xCopper Bar)
Engineering 52-65: Copper Tubes, 10 used for 66-75.
[35 Copper Bars] (2x Copper Bar 1x Weak Flux)
Engineering 66-75: Rough Boom Sticks, sell all (
(1x Copper Tube 1x Handful of Copper Bolts 1x Wooden Stock)
Engineering 76-95: Coarse Blasting Powder, keep 20 for 121-125.
[80 Coarse Stones] (1x Coarse Stone)
Engineering 96-105: Silver Contacts, Keep 5 for 146-150, Keep 5 for 191-195.
[10 Silver Bars](1x Silver Bar)
Engineering 106-120: Bronze Tubes, sell all.
[30 Bronze Bars](2x Bronze Bar 1x Weak Flux)
Engineering 121-125: Small Bronze Bombs, sell all.
[10 Bronze Bars, 10 Wool Cloth]
(1x wool cloth 1x silver contact 4x coarse blasting powder 2x bronze bar)
Engineering 126-145: Heavy Blasting Powder, 10 for 146-150, 50 for 150-175, 15 for 191-195.
[75 Heavy Stones] (1x Heavy Stone)
Engineering 146-150: Big Bronze Bombs, throw at friends or sell.
[15 Bronze Bars]
(2x Heavy Blasting Powder 3x Bronze Bar 1x Silver Contact)
Engineering 150-175: Blue, Green or Red Fireworks, sell.
[Edit: A few people are getting stuck here, you may want to purchase more.]
[50 Heavy Leather]
(1x Heavy Leather 1x Heavy Blasting Powder)
Engineering 176: Gyromatic Micro-Adjustor
[4x Steel Bars](4x Steel Bar)
Engineering 177-190: Solid Blasting Powder, 10:206-210, 15:211-225, 16:236-245, 20:246-250
[86 Solid Stones](2x Solid Stone)
Engineering 191-195: Big Iron Bomb, sell
[15 Iron Bars]
(3x Iron Bar 3x Heavy Blasting Powder 1x Silver Contact)
Engineering 196-205: Mithril Tubes, sell.
[30 Mithril Bars](3x Mithril Bar)
Engineering 206-210: Unstable Triggers, 10 for 236-245.
[10 Mithril Bars, 10 Solid Blasting Powder]
(1x Mithril Bar 1x Mageweave Cloth 1x Solid Blasting Powder)(need for later)
Engineering 211-225: Hi-Impact Mithril Slugs, sell on AH for good profit
[15 Mithril Bars, 15 Solid Blasting Powder]
(1x Mithril Bar 1x Solid Blasting Powder)
---From here, the going will be dangerous, you may want to stock 5-10 more of each thing I've listed in case of TERRIBLE streaks of luck, as you will be flying out to Gadgetzan. Also see my section below about Goblin/Gnome engineering. That is an expensive way to level, and my FAQ is cheapest without having to make a choice.---
Engineering 226-235: Mithril Casings, 20 for 236-245.
[60 Mithril Bars] (3x Mithril Bar)
Engineering 236-245: Hi-Explosive Bomb, sell.
[20 Mithril Casings, 20 Solid Blasting Powder]
(2x Mithril Casings 1x Unstable Trigger 2x Solid Blasting Powder)
Engineering 246-250: Mithril Gyro-Shot, sell.
[16 Mithril Bars, 16 Solid Blasting Powder]
(2x Mithril Bar 2x Solid Blasting Powder)
Engineering 251-260: Dense Blasting Powder, Keep all for shells!!
[50 Dense Stones](2x Dense Stone)
Engineering 261-290: Thorium Widget, keep for most high-end stuff or sell.
[99 Thorium Bars, 33 runecloth] (3x Thorium Bar 1x Runecloth)
[285-300*Here you can make your Thorium Shells if you can find the schematic on the AH, but being that it is EXPENSIVE, it's not the purpose of this FAQ.* (2x Thorium Bar, 1x Dense Blasting Powder))
Engineering 290-300: Thorium Tubes, keep for most high-end stuff or sell.
[60 Thorium Bars] (6x Thorium Bar)
---When all is said and done, it should have taken you 3-5 hours to get it all made..---
Pick up Schematics that help out: These do not require any type of engineering to have. They are ordinary engineering schematics.
1.You need a Delta Access security card. It's a low % drop in Gnomeregan, so getting it is the hardest part. I've found 3 off of the mobs coming from the back door. You can also find it from AH though in some cases. The important part about delta security card is that it is not BoP, so once you have gotten your schematic, sell it to someone else.
2. You must have 160 engineering.
3. Learn the schematic directly from 3500-D terminals on the way to Thermaplugg from the back door, in the engineering labs.
"Schematics: Repair Bot 74A":
Learn this from a scroll on the ground next to Golem Lord Argelmach in BRD at 300 engineering. (First of all, you'll need the Shadowforge Key.
1. Take your first left, unlock the gate, run up to the gate on the right, unlock that, run up to the door on the left, unlock it.
2. Walk up to the big gear in this room, and unlock the chain.
3. Run up the ramp in this room, take the left up the stairs, then follow the hallways. You'll come to a room with about 4 fire elementals, stairs going down on the left, and a ramp going down on the right. Go right.
4. Ahead of you will be many non-elite gnomes and elite elementals standing around. Go straight down from the ramp until you come to a room with a named, and two elementals guarding him.
5. The plans are to your right.)
It takes 12 Thorium Bars, 4 Rugged Leather, 1 Fused Wiring, 2 Elemental Earth, and 1 Elemental Fire. It has only 1 charge before it is expended. Not cheap.
Types of Artisan Engineering
[Edit: There are three types of engineering. Goblin, Gnomish and regular Artisan engineering. Unless an engineering item specifically states that it needs "Goblin Engineering (x)" or "Gnomish Engineering (x)" it is free for anyone to use. This means that Gnomish can use Goblin Jumper Cables XL and gnomes make whatever they make (d'oh, you'd think I'd remember what gnomes make with 300 gnomish) and share them with the Goblin engineers. Just check thottbot or wherever to be sure.]
There is a quest starter for Artisan; (Tinkerwiz in Ratchet (observatory) for Horde, and Lilliam Sparkspindle in Stormwind for Alliance.)
The Master Gnome engineer is in Booty Bay.
The Master Goblin engineer is in Gadgetzan. These trainers will give you a task to complete to join
that society. Note that you don't need to choose either, as it is not linked to learning
artisan engineering at level 35 at all.
For your Goblin engineering quest:
20 Big Iron Bombs (190) (3x Iron Bar 3x Heavy Blasting Powder 1x Silver Contact)
20 Solid Dynamite (175) (1x Solid Blasting Powder 1x Silk Cloth)
5 Explosive Sheep (150)
(1x Bronze Framework 1x Whirring Bronze Gizmo 2x Heavy Blasting Powder 2x Wool Cloth)
[SEE POST 264 for Garlic of Greymane's Modifications for Goblin Engineering.]
For your Gnome engineering quest:
6 Mithril Tubes (195) (3x Mithril Bar)
1 Accurate Scope (180) (1x Bronze Tube 1x Jade 1x Citrine)
2 Advanced Target Dummies (185)
(1x Iron Strut 1x Bronze Framework 1x Gyrochronatom 4x Heavy Leather)
Goblin is the realm of BOOM. You get a wider variety of and more powerful explosives. Unfortunately the dragon gun and the mortar still trigger the shared explosive reuse timer, though they are on separate cooldowns.
Goblin engineering produces the following:
1) (Engineering 205) Goblin mining hat (AC 190, +15 sta, +5 mining, mail armor, BoP) (You no take candle!)
2) (Engineering 205) Goblin construction hat (AC 44, +15 fire resist, cloth, BoP) Use: absorb 300 to 500 fire damage for 1 minute.
3) (Engineering 205) Goblin sapper charge (explosive, limited use) Damage enemies around you for a lot while damaging you for slightly less.
4) (Engineering 205) Goblin Rocket Fuel recipe (creates a recipe) create recipes for alchemists, who in turn can supply you with goblin rocket fuel, necessary for some schematics.
5) (Engineering 205) Goblin Mortar (explosive, 6 uses) Has a minimum and maximum range. Binds on equip, so you can recharge your own mortar (using the Mortar: Reloaded schematic gained at the same time) for significantly fewer resources than a new mortar, but cannot recharge anyone else's as it is soulbound to them. Also worth noting is that this item apparently still causes a "stun" effect instead of a "disorient" effect, which is somewhat more useful. However, the radius is smaller than listed, probably 6 yards instead of 10.
6) (Engineering 225) Goblin Rocket Boots (AC 41, cloth) These boots are one of the few items usable by those without the engineering skill. They allow fast running for a short period of time, but are prone to explosion.
7) (Engineering 230) Goblin Bomb Dispenser (trinket, BoP) Can create one bomb that behaves as an exploding sheep, every 30 minutes.
8) (Engineering 235) The Big One (explosive, 2 uses) A massive bomb that deals high damage in a huge radius. Has a longer than usual activation time.
9) (Engineering 240) Goblin Dragon Gun (trinket, BoP) A 10-second channel creates a cone of flame that deals damage each second.
10(?) (Engineering 245) Goblin Rocket Helmet (AC 50, +15 sta, cloth) Allows you to charge an enemy, knocking it unconscious for 30 seconds and yourself for less time. Damage ends the effect.
Gnomish is the realm of devices. Trinkets for every occasion. If you are satisfied with the amount of explosives from standard engineering, go gnomish for utility.
Gnomish engineering produces the following:
1) (Engineering 205) Gnomish Shrink Ray (trinket) temporarily reduces target's attack power by 250. this can also backfire on the user, causing them to shrink or grow.
2) (Engineering 205) Inlaid mithril cylinder plans (creates a recipe) creates plans for blacksmiths, who in turn can provide you with mithril cylinders, necessary for some schematics.
3) (Engineering 210) Gnomish Goggles (AC 45, +9 agi, +9 sta, +9 spi, cloth, BoP) goggles with agility
4) (Engineering 210) Gnomish Net-O-Matic Projector (trinket) Roots target for 10 seconds, 10 minute cooldown. Can backfire and root the user instead.
5) (Engineering 215) Gnomish Harm Prevention belt (AC 66, +6 sta, leather) Use: blocks 500 damage over the next minute, but can also temporarily remove the user from reality.
6) (Engineering 225) Gnomish rocket boots (AC 41, cloth) requires engineering to use, but cannot be destroyed like the goblin version.
7) (Engineering 230) Gnomish Battle Chicken (trinket, BoP) summons a combat chicken for 90 seconds. 30 minute cooldown.
8) (Engineering 235) Gnomish mind control cap (AC 50, +14 spi, cloth) allows mind control of your target for a short time.
9) (Engineering 240) Gnomish death ray (trinket, BoP) a 4-second channel deals damage to you each second, and then releases more than the total amount at your target. Aggros as you start channeling.
Those are the big differences I know of. It's purely a matter of preference. Keep in mind that aside from the ones that are Bind on Pickup, you can trade/buy to get most of the other's products!
That's it, you should be engineering 300 when reading this little section. Props to Thottbot, Auction House, and ideas given by various forums. Good luck to you, you'll probably need it after this faq drains your wallet. ^_^
How to change from one specialization to another:
Go to Steamwheedle Port in Tanaris. To the north is a small hut. Inside is a Gnome called Narain Soothfancy. Have a look at the book on the little table in the right hand corner. Right click on it and you get to choose what kind of specialization you want. Hope this helps.
Engineering 300 - 375
Engineering 300 - 310
Your going to need 40 x Fel Iron Casing, 60 x Handful of Fel Iron Bolts and 45 x Elemental Blasting Powder, so just make all that first and you'll get to 310+.
Engineering 310 - 320
Fel Iron Bomb (1 x Fel Iron Casing (3 x Fel Iron Bars), 2 x Handful of Fel Iron Bolts (1 x Fel Iron Bar) 1 x Elemental Blasting Powder(1 x Mote of Fire, 1 x Mote of Earth)) x 10
Engineering 320 - 335
Fel Iron Musket (2 x Thorium Tubes (12 x Thorium Bars), 3 x Fel Iron Casing (9 x Fel Iron Bar), 4 x Handful of Fel Iron Bolts (4 x Fel Iron Bars) x 15
Engineering 335 - 350
White Smoke Flare (1 x Netherweave Cloth), 1 x Elemental Blasting Powder (1 x Mote of Fire, 1 x Mote of Earth)) x 25
Visit the trainers listed below to learn items from here on.
Create 20 Handful of Cobalt Bolts
Save these. You will need them later.
You will need:
40 x Cobalt Bar
Create 5 Volatile Blasting Trigger
Save these. You will need them later.
Engineering 375-450Trainer Locations:
Sock Brightbolt - 57,72 in Valiance Keep, Borean Tundra.
Tisha Longbridge - 59,64 in Valgarde, Howling Fjord.
Jamesina Watterly - 78,30 in Vengence Landing, Howling Fjord.
Justin Oshenko - 35,25 in Dalaran.
Findle Whistlesteam (Gnome Engineering) - 39,25 in Dalaran.
Didi the Wrench (Goblin Engineering) - 39,25 in Dalaran.
Create 10 Overcharged Capacitor
Create 5 Explosive Decoy
Create 10 Froststeel Tube
Create 5 Diamond-cut Refractor Scope
Create 15 Saronite Bomb
Create 5 Mana Injector Kit
Create 10 Mechanized Snow Goggles
Create 10 Noise Machine
Create 10 Gnomish Army Knife
You will probably need a few more mats than are listed. This goes green at 445, but its cheaper to make these than anything else all the way to 450.
If you have questions or want to share ideas, please visit our Professions Forum.